Food Sensitivities...A Quick Guide to What Turns Your Stomach

My friend (and fellow food critic) Katie told me about a method where hair samples are tested in order to understand food intolerances and sensitivities. This test also helps find environmental sensitivities. It's not an allergy test. But it does help uncover problematic foods. 

What made me take this test for me and my son?
My son is fourteen now, but all his life he has had irritable bowel syndrome and headaches. So have I. I figured it was partially inherited since my father suffered from these as well. I have done enough research to know that the foods we're eating are not safe for everyone to eat...in part because of the additives in them. Or the pesticides used. And because Katie and her daughter had more insight into their food and environmental triggers after taking this test, I scraped up the money to conduct it for me and my son. 

What is the difference between having a food allergy versus sensitivity?
A food allergy is often much more serious than an intolerance. For one thing, it can cause a life-threatening reaction called anaphylaxis. With a food allergy, the response is immediate and it can occur even with the smallest exposure to the food. Symptoms include hives, rashes, itchy sensation in the mouth, vomiting, and the most dangerous...an inability to breathe. A food sensitivity is usually a digestive issue. It may be triggered up to 48 hours of ingesting the food. It might not occur every time the food is ingested, unlike an allergy, where symptoms occur every time the food is introduced. Food sensitivity can cause migraines, diarrhea, acne, bloating, nausea, and eczema. It's generally not life-threatening, just inconvenient and painful.

What I found using this test...the oddities.
My son had a lot of different types of alcohol sensitivities...tequila, gin, whiskey, vodka. Either my son is a closet lush, or he's ingesting alcohol from the foods he's been eating. I'm going to research into this further. Also, I found "horse" listed on his test. Maybe from gelatin? But maybe...and this bothers me a great deal...maybe companies are adding horse meat to ground turkey, chicken, or beef. How can we know for sure? I am definitely going to be studying this as well. 

Are people super-sensitive, or is our environment overloading us with chemicals and pollutants?
I want to know. So I will be starting a series of articles on this subject matter as I explore further. If you're curious about the test I took, you can find it here: 
https://modernallergymanagement.com/

Stay tuned!

https://www.everlywell.com/food-allergy-vs-food-sensitivity/
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/food-allergy/expert-answers/food-allergy/faq-20058538

Comments

Popular Posts